Days: 15 / Difficulty: 4 of 5 (Strenuous)
The Saga Dawa festival is celebrated on the 15th day of the 4th Tibetan month and is one of the most important religious festivals celebrated in Tibet. This auspicious day coincides with three important events in Buddha's life namely his birth, nirvana and parinirvana (death). Since the Saga Dawa festival falls on the holiest month of the Tibetan calendar, it is believed that good deeds and prayers are multiplied thousand fold during this event. So we can see everyone immersed in prayers and trying to appease the gods. During the fourth month of the Tibetan calendar, many people refrain from killing animals and give out alms to everyone who comes asking for it. There may not be overt celebrations everywhere, but even then you can easily discern the festive spirit in the air during the Saga Dawa festival. If you are in Tibet around that time, don't forget to be a part of the huge crowd that visits the Dzongyab Lukhang Park at the foot of Potala for a late afternoon picnic. In fact, this has become some sort of a yearly ritual for the people in Tibet. The Tarboche flagpole replacing exercise is also an interesting event that takes place during the Saga Dawa festival. As people from all parts of Tibet gather here for this annual event, they bring small prayer flags to attach to the big flag that comes up with the combined help of the onlookers that come to witness the event. It is really fascinating to watch this event that is presided over by a Lama from the nearby monastery. The Saga Dawa festival is truly a celebration that encompasses everyone into its fold casting aside all barriers of nationality, religion or color. In fact, being a part of this holy event is such a moving experience that you come back with a deep sense of inner satisfaction that stays with you for a long time.
SAGA DAWA FESTIVAL AT MT. KAILASH & LAKE MANASAROVAR 2018, 15 Days
Day 01: Kathmandu (1337m.) Welcome to Kathmandu international airport,meet our representative and transfer to hotel.
Day 02: Kathmandu: After breakfast start the Kathmandu Sightseeing including Pashupatinath temple, Boudhanath Stupa & Swayambhunatha Stupa back to hotel, rest of day is free for packing up, checking equipment and in the evening briefing about the journey to Tibet.
Day 03: Kathmandu to Nylam (3750m.): After breakfast drive to Kodari (Nepal - China Border). At our 4 hours driving, the group will enjoy with the beautiful scenery of Nepal. The Bhotekoshi River leads us up to Kodari is the second wilderness river in the world. Our boarder agent will complete custom formalities at Kodari. After Lunch; check in to the Tibetan autonomous part of China. We drive to a small Tibetan town which is called Nylam by Land Cruiser, Overnight stay at Hotel Naylam or similar.
Day 04: Nylam: Full day free at Nylam for acclimatization and Nylam village excursion. Overnight stay at Hotel Nylam.
Day 05: Nylam to Saga (4450m.): After breakfast, we drive from Nylam to Saga around 6 - 7 hours drive crossing about 220 Km. On the way we cross Lalungla-Pass (5040m). Our road is a part of the old Silk Road crossing the beautiful Tibetan Himalayan Shisha Pangma on the south. Grazing Sheep, Yaks and nomads activities removes once dizziness. Overnight stay at Hotel Saga.
Day 06: Saga to Paryang (4750m.): After breakfast, we start our drive from Saga to Paryang, for around 5-6 hours driving, cross about 225 Km. The beauty of nature will pursue you continuously, wild and farm animals can be spotted during the driving period. Overnight stay at Hotel Paryang.
Day 07: Paryang to Manasarovar - 4560m (Chui Gompa): After breakfast, we proceed from Paryang to Manasarovar around 6 hours drive, crossing about 180 Km. Drive to Chui Gompa via the circumbulation of Lake Manasarovar. Yatris will give us an excellent opportunity to bathe in the holy Lake Manasarovar. Overnight stay at the bank of Manasarovar, Guest House.
Day 08: Manasarovar to Darchen (4560m.) and Saga Dawa Festival: Morning is free for holy dip and Puja. After Lunch we drive from Manasarovar to Darchen and after a short rest we continue our drive to Serlung Gompa by Jeep to have spectacular view of Astapada, Nandi Parbat, Kailashi Ganga, Kuber Parbat, Astamatrikagan Parbat and Dakshinmurti Shivalaya. Overnight stay at Darchen, Guest House.
Day 09: Darchen to Dirapuk (4890m.): This is the first day of the Kailash Parikrama (circumbulation). We start our Parikrama after breakfast as early as possible. Today its along march of about 7 hours. Yaks will carry our all-essential equipments. Overnight stay at Camp.
Day 10: Driaphuk to Zuthulphuk (4750m.): Today is very crucial and important day since we have to cross the pass of Dolma-La (5,670m) above sea level. The weather is often unpredictable in Dolma-La and at any time it can change and a snow storm can start out of nowhere. So we try to start our journey as earliy as possible. In route, we can see Darshan Gaurikunda. But it is very difficult to go and touch it. Overnight stay at Camp.
Day 11: Zuthulphuk to Saga: This is the day we finish our Parikrama of the holy Kailash at Zongjerpu. We drive to Saga which takes about 6-7 hours. Overnight stay at Hotel Saga.
Day 12: Driving from Saga to Zhangmu (Border town of Tibet) takes about 5-6 hours. Overnight stay at Zhangmu Hotel.
Day 13: Zhangmu to Kathmandu: After clearing the border formalities our Nepal guide will pick you up from the Chinese friendship bridge which is the border point. By tourist coach we will continue to drive to Kathmandu, check in at same hotel. Overnight stay in Kathmandu.
Day 14: Free Day for Shopping in Kathmandu and stay for overnight at your Hotel.
Day 15: Airport: After breakfast or whatever time your flight is we transfer you to the International Airport by private car.
Our Tour Package Includes:
* Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & transfer by car / Van.
* 4 Nights accommodation with breakfast at Standard hotel in Kathmandu.
* Kathmandu city tour as per the above itinerary.
* Kathmandu - Border - Kathmandu transport by Tourist coach bus.
* All twin bed sharing basis accommodation at Tibetan Hotel/Guest house and Camp.
* Border- Kailash- Border transport by Land Cruisers . 4 persons sharing one Land Cruiser and a supporting truck during Kailash trip.
* Freshly Cooked Vegetarian Meals (North / Gujarati & South Indian food)
* Camping equipments with sleeping bag, down Jacket & duffel bag
* Chinese visa and Kailash permit.
* Sherpas, cook and all necessary supporting Nepalese staffs & Tibetan guide.
* Yak and yak leader to carry supplies while you make the Parikrama of Mt. Kailash .
* Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC), Oxygen & medicine kit box.
* All Sightseeing Tours in Tibet and entry fees.
* All transportation in Nepal.
* Tourist service charge, Vat.
* Office Service charge.
* Tour Guide for sightseeing tour in Kathmandu his insurance and salary.
* Any meals in Kathmandu other than breakfast.
* Photographic charges in the monasteries.
* Travel insurance.
* International air fare to and from Nepal.
* Nepal Tourist Visa fees and Nepal re-entry Visa.(Make a double entry visa)
* Additional Jeep driving to Serlung.
* Accommodation cost at Darchen for those who are unfit to go Kailash Parikrama and stay at base camp.
* Emergency Evacuation (Helicopter Rescue).
* Any costs which arise due to a change of the itinerary, because of landslides, political disturbance, and strikes etc.
* Any other costs whatsoever, that is not mentioned in the cost included.
* Items and expenses of personal nature.
* Any kind of alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, snacks, laundry, phone call, internet.
* Extra porters to hire and other vehicle due to natural calamities.
* Personal Trekking Equipments.
* Tips for guide, porters, driver...
Tipping is expected but it is not mandatory.
Note: The package can be redesigned or redeveloped as per your taste. For more information please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important: In case of emergency during the trip, Helicopter will be arranged by Swiss Family Treks & Expedition (P) Ltd. The charges must be paid by the clients themselves.