Meditation Trek to Upper Dolpo, Camping 20 Days
Upper Dolpo is a strenuous but rewarding journey into Nepal's most isolated region, the frozen outpost of mythical Shey Monastery beyond Phoksundo Lake, the legendary region of snow leopard, the Himalayan Bharal or blue sheep and the semi-nomadic yak herders, cut off from the rest of the world by some of Himalayas’ most difficult passes. Situated in the western part of the country, it is one of the most remote, isolated regions in Nepal, which has only recently been strictly off-limits, so its traditions and ways of life have remained intact. With sweeping and windswept high altitude desert vistas, Dolpo promises to mesmerize every trekker who has the strength and courage to venture into this pocket of real traditional Tibetan culture.
In the autumn of 1990, a British tour operator was the first who organized a trek from east to west, from Pokhara to Jumla. This trekking route passed many mighty mountain ranges - Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and Kanjiroba, to name just a few - and passed through Lower Dolpo, at that time a small kingdom in its own right. More recently we have repeated the route with some variations. Our groups see very few other Westerners so they are enthused greatly about the wild remoteness, the stunning mountain scenery and the fact, that the local people, which number only a few hundred and are among the world's highest dwellers, have that innocent friendliness, peculiar to people who live in excessively remote mountainous regions.The villages in Upper Dolpo are located at 4,300 meters atitude and above.The people of Dolpo must import grain, so yak-caravan trade, in the past salt from Tibet in exchange for grains from midlands of Nepal, was the mainstay of life. Eric Valli made a nice movie with layactors from original Dolpo about this ancient trade, called ‘Caravan’.
Geographically still within Nepal but culturally always tied to Tibet, though this bond, as in Mustang, has been broken for well over half a century, Dolpo is a region of few Buddhist monasteries as well as those of the pre-Buddhist religion of Bon. This early shamaniatic religion was almost entirely absorbed after Buddhist doctrine began to spread across Tibet in the 9th century. This is the main goal of most trekkers, but this Dolpo trek will take you even further into this mysterious land, which is also one of the seven ‘Hidden Valleys’ (beside of Khumbu, Yolmo, Rongshar, Lapchi, Nubri and Sikkim), which are particular beneficial to meditation. The Tibetan saint Rigdzin Godem (1337-1408), as well as the 5. Dalai Lama wrote about these mystic valleys (bayul), that they will remain even then untouched, when the rest of the world will struggle with increasing desasters. It is also said; to make a pilgrimage to these valleys is purifying negative Karma, which it is very beneficial to future lifes.
We think, we don’t have to explain, why we choosed this extraordinary tour for ‘Trekking and Meditation’. This trek, in combination with our meditation-program, will definitly change your view of life.
* Airport/Hotel/Airport pick up and transfer by private car/van.
* 4 nights accommodation in twin bed sharing basis with breakfast at standard hotel in Kathmandu.
* Kathmandu city tour as per above mentioned itinerary and entry fees.
* Round trip domestic flight tickets and airport tax.
* 1 night accommodation in Nepalgunj with breakfast.
* Meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) with Tea & coffee and hot water during the camping trek.
* Camping/Tented accommodation during the trek.
* 1 experienced helpful and friendly guide, 1 cook and 1 helper, porters (1 porter for 2 peoples), their food & accommodation, salary, equipments & insurance.
* Trekking camping equipments (Tent, mattress, dining tent, kitchen tent, toilet tent, kitchen utensils etc.)
* All transportation by private vehicle.
* Upper Dolpo and Lower Dolpo Restricted Area Permit.
* Shey-Phoksundo National Park Permit.
* All necessary permits.
* Tourist service charge,
* Office Service charge
* All Government Tax.
Our Tour Package doesn't include;
* Any meals in Kathmandu other than breakfast.
* Travel insurance (if you want us to arrange your travel insurance, we would greatly be happy to assist).
* International air fare to and from Nepal.
* Nepal Tourist Visa fee.
* Items and expenses of personal nature.
* Any kind of alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, laundry, phone call, internet.
* Personal Trekking Equipments like sleeping bags, jackets (can all be hired in KTM)
* Emergency Evacuation (Helicopter Rescue).
* Any costs which arise due to a change of the itinerary, because of landslides, domestic flight delays, political disturbance, and strikes etc.
* Any other costs whatsoever, that is not mentioned in the cost included.
* Horse renting and additional porters during the trek.
* Tips for guide, porters, driver...
Tipping is expected but it is not mandatory.
N.B: The package can be redesigned or redeveloped as per your taste. For more information please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: In case of emergency during the trip, Helicopter will be arranged by Swiss Family Treks & Expedition (P) Ltd. The charges must be paid by the clients themselves
Grade: (Strenuous) [ Explain ]
|Start date||End date||Availability|
|Trip is available|
|Easy trekking by Himalayan standards is generally up to 2000m. There are plenty of ups and downs on well-maintained trails. This type of trip is best suited for those who lead a reasonably active life. The trek takes about 3 to 7 days, walking about 4 to 5 hours a day.|
|This involves longer treks (five to ten days) on maintained trails. This type of trek includes day excursions to higher elevations, for which it's advisable to have some previous hill- walking experience. On these treks, we generally achieve an altitude between 900m to 3000m.|
(Moderate to strenuous)
|A reasonably demanding trek at an altitude up to 4000m with side trips to higher elevations. The trails are sometimes uncharted and away from inhabited areas.|
|These treks must be fully supported. We climb to altitudes between 3500 and 5000m. & there are overnight stays at altitudes above 4000m. For this trek, trekkers should be fit & enthusiastic hill walkers prepared to tackle difficult terrain in remote areas.|
|This trek is best described as Alpine, and suitable is suitable for those in excellent health, capable of carrying a backpack, when required. The trek covers very remote areas, traveling over snow-covered passes at an altitudes of up to 6500m. You will need to axes and crampons. No strenuous trek should be undertaken without medical clearance.|
|Standard||Ideal for backpackers, students, travellers, very basic accomodation 1 * or none*, group travel in bus.|
|3 Star||Nice ** to*** star hotel ideal for the normal traveller family, couples, hotels are clean and monitored by our company, breakfast usually included. Travels are in van or 4 seater jeep.|
|4-5 Star||**** to ***** star Hotels with all possible international comfort, where available SAT TV. SPA etc. brekfast included for the traveller who wants to be spoiled , travelling in privat car, Jeep.|
There will be a cancellation fee of 25% for any cancellation three weeks prior to Tour departure date, 50% two weeks prior to Tour departure date and no refund thereafter. No refund for no shows & delay arrivals whatsoever reason.